Subject: Re: new expanded DMCA-like law
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/09/2001 19:44:41
Hi,

I do not know if this is the right place for such topic.

On 8 Sep 2001, at 20:04, Ian Cooper wrote:
> Anyone with half a brain can see that these laws will be unenforcable
> concerning individuals.  Take a look at the mass-email laws.  Have
> they at all noticably reduce the amount of spam that we get?

First, I did not know such laws exist in the US, the last time I looked
at cauce.org it did not mention such law. Probably there are more
adequate sources for such information.

Second, the Austrian anti spam/mass e-mail law is a strict opt-in
solution and several (selfemployed) individuals allready had to pay
(If you send mass e-mail messages or advertisment by e-mail
without prior allowance of the recipient you will have to pay up to
about USD 15.000,--).

Third, it does not matter if a law accomplishes what it was intended
for - you can end up in jail.

mike