Subject: Re: Passive FTP through a filewall
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/09/2001 20:39:36
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

: > * Run a SOCKS5-ified ftpd with a SOCKS5 server on the NAT router, so that
: >   listening sockets will actually be opened on the NAT router with
: >   proper IP and port numbers.  This has CPU usage implications on the
: >   NAT router.
: >
: > * Write a "proxy port ftp-server" translator for ipf, or beg the ipf
: > author to do this.  8-)
:
: isn't there some way to configure a straight proxy ftp server to do
: this, too?

I'm sure there is such a proxy, but I don't know of one offhand, personally.
Such a solution has all the same CPU overhead implications as the SOCKS5
option, above, but doesn't require a custom compiled ftpd.  (There are
situations where I find SOCKS preferable for such, because it doesn't
require specialization.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/