Subject: Re: pwd_mkdb - Lets do this differently!
To: None <smj@cirr.com>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/09/2001 09:38:08
In message <200108082134.f78LY9f01719@egsner.cirr.com>
	on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:34:09 -0500 (CDT),
	Stephen M Jones <smj@cirr.com> wrote:
> I was frobbing assignments in 'HASHINFO' hoping to get some speed ups.
> I found that by increasing 'nelem' between 1024-2048 (from 256) and
> keeping ffactor relatively small 128 (from 32) I could get a passwd
> change done in about 4 minutes with the pwd.db and spwd.db files
> 2mb smaller (about 10mb each).
Very interesting.  What about process size of pwd_mkdb(8)?

> Now for some other statistics.  Since August 1st (its now August 8th)
> one production leenox system has seen 12,270 changes to passwd/shadow ..
> these changes come from userdel, useradd, usermod, chfn, chsh and passwd.
> being that there are only 1440 minutes in a day, it would take about
> 8.52 days to complete these 12,270 changes (and thats just in theory,
> if they were happening all sequentially).
Once I implement the CGI adding bulk user in my real world.  (It was
on FreeBSD 2.2.8 with almost the same logic.)

1. Adding all new user and modifying all user in master.passwd.
2. Executing pwd_mkdb(8).
3. Creating User's home directories.

2. and 3. process are done in background for preventing CGI's timeout.

Just for your information.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>