Subject: ppp compression...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/07/2001 21:54:27
I have been reading the ppp kernel code to try and figure out why my
PPP connection with my ISP will not do compression.  I get a message
like this:

    /netbsd: ppp0: no compressor found for [1 2 8] 3

I found the code in net/if_ppp.c and this message is printed after
the code loops through the compressor, checking for handlers for the
protocol. It is supposed to then allocate a compressor/decompressor.
Since I get no error messages from attempts to try the compressors, I
assume this means the kernel found none. However, I have deflate and bsd
compression compiled into the kernel.

I have suspected that my ISP has compression turned off in their
Portmasters, but they don't seem to be able to tell me if it is or not.

I'm still looking through kernel code, but would like any hints before
getting in too deep. It's more than I wanted to do to fix what should be
a simple problem.  Also, I'm thinking that the code I've seen may
also fail to allocate if the remote end has compression disabled.

Also, if there are known problems with NetBSD PPP and Portmasters, that
information would be helpful.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com