Subject: Re: upgrade without booting into installer
To: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2001 11:30:43
On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 03:38:52PM -0400, Emre Yildirim wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my 1.5S machine to the latest snapshot under
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20010407-1.5T/.
> This machine has no floppy or CDROM drive, so can I just download the
> sets and the kernel in / and then extract them from there?  Is that
> bad, or is there a better way to do it?  Thanks for any

You can do it this way. You have to take care of etc.tgz of course (backup
you old /etc), and also of obsolete files (the list of obsolete files isn't
available in a directly usable form unfortunably; you have to run
src/distrib/sets/makeobsolete to generate it).

The second option is to download the INSTALL kernel from binary/kernel (if
it exixts for the snapshot) and boot it from disk. It's the same kernel as
on floppies images, with the ramdisk. You'll end in sysinst just as if you
booted from disk.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>