Subject: Re: rxvt, *term umlaut problem
To: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu.rinta-aho@nomadiclab.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/09/2000 21:21:56
On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:45:50PM +0200, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
> Hello all! This might be a stupid problem, but
> I can't find help elsewhere...
>
> I am quite new to BSD, but have been using Linux for over
> five years now. Amazingly, I have trouble setting
> the rxvt, xterm or any other X terminal emulator
> to display umlauts (a, o with dots). My keyboard
> works just fine on console, but not under X terminals.
> X applications, like Netscape and Xemacs also work
> fine. I have been looking into settings and source
> of NetBSD kernel, XFree86, rxvt, xterm, stty, environment
> variables, and different shells, but I can't find
> a solution. I have read all possible manuals, faqs
> and howtos, but no help. Now if there is a kind
> person from Scandinavia or perhaps Germany, or from
> somewhere else using umlauts in X terminals, can
> you lead me to the right path? Thanks.

Could you try to install the locale.tgz set (it's just a tar.gz file
to be extracted from /) from
ftp://ftp2.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/french-1.4/
and 'setenv LC_CTYPE iso_8859_1' ?
It's what's needed for me for french characters, but should work for any
iso_8859_1 chars (and for any arch, not only i386 :)

> Teemu
>
> P.S. "äöåÄÖÅ" <- my umlauts, can you see anything?

Yes, in vi in an xterm.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>