Subject: Large EIDE drives
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/06/1999 15:31:06
Hello.  I just called a computer store to order a 13GB EIDE drive.  They
warned me that the BIOS on my pentium-class motherboard will most likely
see the drive as 8GB.  I tried to tell them that my OS (NetBSD/i386 1.4.1)
doesn't really care what the BIOS thinks (except when booting), and that the
drive would work fine for me.  They disbelieved me and basically said that
I can't return the drive if it doesn't work in my system.

This is not a dual-boot system or anything; the whole disk is going to be
for NetBSD.

Will I be able to plug in and use the 13GB drive, even if my BIOS sees it as
8GB?

Thanks.

Jonathan Fuerth