Subject: simplifying htdocs build procedure (short term)
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/29/2006 12:01:52
--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

Hi,

At the moment the tools required to build htdocs (ie
pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/netbsd-www) are:

devel/gmake
devel/libtool-base
archivers/unzip
graphics/jpeg
graphics/jasper
graphics/lcms
graphics/libexif
graphics/freetype2
graphics/png
textproc/expat
textproc/xmlcatmgr
textproc/libxml2
graphics/libwmf
pkgtools/xpkgwedge
graphics/mpeg2codec
graphics/tiff
pkgtools/x11-links
graphics/ImageMagick
lang/perl5
textproc/docbook-simple
textproc/docbook-website
textproc/docbook-xml
textproc/docbook-xsl
security/libgpg-error
security/libgcrypt
textproc/libxslt
textproc/opensp
devel/boehm-gc
www/w3m
x11/xearth

Yikes!  And one of the biggest problems remains that even if one
installs these packages, all people working on htdocs need to have
almost the exact same version of all these tools, or otherwise the
output generated from one person will be slightly different than the
output from another.  That is just silly and needs to change.

The packages that are required to build the NetBSD Guide are:

devel/gmake
archivers/unzip
textproc/xmlcatmgr
textproc/docbook
textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular
textproc/html
textproc/iso12083
textproc/iso8879
devel/libtool-base
textproc/jade
lang/perl5
textproc/opensp
security/libgpg-error
security/libgcrypt
textproc/libxml2
textproc/libxslt
www/tidy

Huh.  That looks a lot better, no?  And the guide looks more consistent
and cleaner, too.  But I don't know if it is equally fickle wrt version
numbers of the packages or how resource hungry it is.

Can we change the website to use the same tools as the guide?  I think
just based on the reduced number of packages needed that would be a step
forward.

Also, one of the reasons why building htdocs takes so many resources is
due to the layout.xml file, which maintains an entry of every single
file.  As far as I can tell, this is used only for the relative links
among the documents of the website (<link rel> inside <head>), which
are not even displayed on all browsers.  This seems almost entirely
useless to me.  Can we get rid of this?  Will this speed up processing
the files?

-Jan

--=20
Information wants to be free.