Subject: Re: Software License Sound Bites, Version 0.1
To: Karl O . Pinc <kop@meme.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/17/2002 20:25:55
Karl,

I hope you don't mind, but I am responding to your private mail back to
the list.

[quote snipped]

Generally, we don't like complicated licenses. And most of us don't like
licenses that force you to make your changes freely available. Ironic, I
think, to say the software is free to do as you please -- as long as you
give back to me.

I could reword the GPL: "You may reuse my code as long as you pay me
back."

Anyways, the NetBSD users and developers are a very friendly and helpful
group. I have used many operating systems and have participated in
numerous communities. The NetBSD community, I have found, has been the
friendliest -- and that is the main non-technical reason why I use it.

By the way, please have a look at
http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/bsd/license.html for some information that
helps explain the BSD communities' stance on licensing.

[another quote snipped]

Hmmmm. I think so [that the phrase "liability disclaimer" is generally
understood]. I just asked my wife. She said: "Like ...  it means you
aren't responsible or liable for anything or something that happens to
you."

Also, I wanted to mention that it was confusing that you placed a license
at the top of your article. As a journalism graduate and a news
professional, I believe this could really cause problems. Don't scare your
audience that you are trying to help. Simply get rid of any license from
your article and when sending to a media outlet, clearly say "You may use
this."

Good luck with your project.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/