Subject: BSD wars (was: Chuck-on-a-card?)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/02/1999 10:44:56
On Friday,  1 October 1999 at 11:01:55 -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

>> Plus I have said time and time again, talk to Walnut Creek, they would
>> be very pleased to create NetBSD CD-ROMs which could be sold to benefit
>> the Foundation. For someone in Europe it is very, very hard to get one's
>> hands on NetBSD sources/distribution without a proper distribution
>> channel.
>
> Since Walnut Creek runs on FreeBSD, I must admit to suspicion that they
> cut the FreeBSD folks something of a deal.  This does not make the statement
> true, nor is it an accusation.

I think it's a matter of public record that the FreeBSD project gets
both money and equipment from Walnut Creek.  That's definitely one
reason why FreeBSD is better known than NetBSD.  I don't think this
makes FreeBSD better or worse; any free software project is dependent
on contributions.

>> Aside from all that, I am getting a little sick of the constant
>> mud-slinging from one `camp' to the `other'. Must be my relative
>> newbieness that causes this, I mean what is, 1.5-2 years? But I have
>> less reservations about co-operating between NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD
>> than others. A good sense of casting ego's aside is needed in every one
>> of the individual projects.
>
> I'd love to see a unification of Free/NetBSD, but I think we may have
> diverged too far for this to happen -- the code base isn't likely to merge
> very well, and there's the whole pkg thing now.

As I've said a number of times, most recently at
http://www.daemonnews.org/199910/d-advocate.html, I don't think it's a
good idea for the projects to merge.  There's a lot to be gained by
different groups of people doing things their way.

> If you're recommending a re-merger between OwhateverBSD and NetBSD,
> you will find that there are too many bitter feelings on both sides
> over a disagreement that far supersedes ego.  And I don't think that
> there's any love lost between Free and Open, either.

Let's say that Theo is, well, different.  I met him in Melbourne last
month, and given what I'd heard of him, I was rather surprised that he
seemed relatively calm and rational.  Photos, BTW, at
http://www.lemis.com/~grog/auug99.html.  Don't all go at once; it's
only a 33.6 kb link.  You're right about the bitter feelings, and I
don't think that they'll subside easily, but they will one day.  It's
just a question of time.

Greg