Subject: Re: core resignations
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 23:17:57
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> will *never* work that way.  It is precisely `core's job as technical
> arbiter to decide what goes in and what doesn't.  If the contributor
> decides to be overly upset about this, well... `send something useful
> next time'.

I do like the idea that the project has a core team made of very talented
individuals who together have both the technical competence to review code
and also have a better idea of the big picture.  By big picture, I mean a
broad enough viewpoint to say things like "yes your stuff works in this
case, but here are some issues you may have not thought about", or "try
this and all the ports can benefit".

I think we're all lucky to have those top notch people around.  I have a
few projects I want to try and do if I ever get out of school, and I'll
gladly accept a few code rejections (hopefully with suggestions on what
needs work) in the interest of getting it right.  That way I learn from
an expert and everyone benefits from better code.

So, in closing, "yay for core" and also "woohoo for all the other
non-core, but still excellent developers".

-Dan