Subject: Re: cannot install X.11Mar95.tgz
To: Ivan Alves <alves@econ.ubc.ca>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/16/1995 18:02:16
On Mar 16,  2:16pm, Ivan Alves wrote:
>I have tried text, binary; through two different machines, using different
>applications to transfer the file.  I get the same error:
>
>Invalid compressed data--format violated 1 (or sometimes 2)
>Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
>Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout
>Finished extracting X.11Mar95.tgz
>
>I am about to give up.  Can somebody please shed some light as to the use
>of cpin and cpout? Or to the nature of the problem that I am facing?

What I did is this:
    Binary transfer to my Mac.
    cpin X.11Mar95.tgz X.11Mar95.tgz
    boot NetBSD
    gzcat X.11Mar95.tgz | tar xvf -

You cat pipe the output of gzcat to a 'tar tvf -' to see what the path
is that the files will unload to, and make sure you are in the right
place when you do the extract.

Hope this helps.
~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

A bird in the hand is worth what it will bring.