Subject: MacBSD ftp mirror down
To: None <kevin@spef8.spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Manuel Eduardo Correia <mcc@ncc.up.pt>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/09/1994 10:27:16
>> Why should we give foreign nationals (those not considered to be our
>>allaies) a tool to break into our industialy and militay systems.

  You must me joking !!! All the encryption algorithms used in Unix
are well known in the literature and very easily implementable as many
students already know ( at least in my department ). Also many free
compatible encryption libraries exist ( There is one coded in
Australia I think ) without the need to take the code from the States.
	The only reason I see for this law is just to keep stupid
Americans happy with the tax dollars that are being spend in this
nonsense.

>>PS.  France is considered to be one of our greatest enemies in the
>>area of industrial espionage.

   Oh Yeahh !! And the CIA is doing the same thing in Japan !!!
Stealing industrial secrets for the American Auto Industry... What a
country !!!
	The only thing you get with this obtuse politic is to make a
lot of ignorant people happy with a false sense of security and
really cripple yours software companies. If I can buy an European Unix
system with all the encryption algorithms in place why bother with the
American's 8-)...

Manuel Eduardo C. D. Correia 	(Phd. Student)
Centro de Informatica da Universidade do Porto (CIUP),
Rua do Campo Alegre, 823, 4100 Porto, PORTUGAL
Tel: (351-02) 600 1672, Ext: 113, Fax: (351-02) 600 3654,
Internet: mcc@ciup1.ncc.up.pt