Re: Duplicate commits in git clone of src

On May 31, 2020, at 11:41 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 02:07:23PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
I was looking at the git clone of the src repo
(https://github.com/netbsd/src) and I noticed that there are lots of
duplicate commits in there; some commits are even present 3 or 4 times.
At first I thought this occurs only with very old commits, but it is the
case for relatively recent ones as well.

There is no way to force a GC on GitHub short of tearing down the repo
completely AFAIK.

Based on

  https://help.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/removing-sensitive-data-from-a-repository

It looks like you might be able to request a GC from GitHub Support.  (I have no actual experience doing this, though; it’s just what I read.  Also, I guess it would be pointless if more unreachable commits will be added right away as part of the normal conversion.  But if the unreachable commits are an artifact of an old conversion, then maybe it would be worth asking for a GC.)

Lewis