Re: versioned files in DESTDIR breaking build

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Sarton O'Brien wrote:

Having used '-u' only a few times and having encountered problems each time, it'd be good if it worked a little more as advertised. Only when people have posted their problems here, I've find out that '-u' is generally an option to avoid, unless you know the possible complications.

It's easy enough to figure it out but initially it was a bit confusing.

Maybe it's use should be conditional with certain expected implications to avoid people having different expectations from it's use?

Just a thought, as I've not found the option of much use since I started building netbsd and I am regularly seeing "Are you using -u?!?" as a response to a failed build. There are obviously a few people this snags.

Or ... maybe it's just one of those things that will always be a little obscure :)

I use -u all the time and it almost always works. On those rare occassions when it doesn't work, I'll go back to a full build.

Even on a quad-core amd4 with -j8, a -u saves a lot of rebuild time when it works.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |