Re: 'smart' status on new laptop

On 24/01/2008, Steven M. Bellovin <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:21:22 +0100
> Bernd Ernesti <netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 01:50:30PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > > Here's the output of 'atactl smart status' on a fairly new laptop.
> > > Some of the figures look suspect, such as the hours powered on...
> > > Might it be a word size issue?  I'm running -current/amd64.
> >
> > Is this a seagate drive?
> > Smart is know to be broken on there drives.

On my FUJITSU MHV2060BH (so, not a Seagate):

# atactl wd0 smart status
SMART supported, SMART enabled
id value thresh crit collect reliability description                    raw
  1 100   46     yes online  positive    Raw read error rate            145330
  2 100   30     yes offline positive    Throughput performance         15335668
  3 100   25     yes online  positive    Spin-up time                   1
  4  99    0     no  online  positive    Start/stop count               2123
  5 100   24     yes online  positive    Reallocated sector count
 8589934592000
  7 100   47     yes online  positive    Seek error rate                971
  8 100   19     yes offline positive    Seek time performance          0
  9  92    0     no  online  positive    Power-on hours count           16065230
 10 100   20     yes online  positive    Spin retry count               0
 12 100    0     no  online  positive    Device power cycle count       1611
192 100    0     no  online  positive    Power-off retract count        135
193  98    0     no  online  positive    Load cycle count               43682
194 100    0     no  online  positive    Temperature
 32 Lifetime max/min 14/50
195 100    0     no  online  positive    Hardware ECC Recovered         17
196 100    0     no  online  positive    Reallocated event count
 451346432
197 100    0     no  online  positive    Current pending sector         0
198 100    0     no  offline positive    Offline uncorrectable          0
199 200    0     no  online  positive    Ultra DMA CRC error count      0
200 100   60     yes online  positive    Write error rate               26777
203 100    0     no  online  positive    Run out cancel
 2628584669520
240 200    0     no  online  positive    Head flying hours              0

Some of the values are obviously bogus.

> Truthfully, I don't know, nor do I see anything on NetBSD to tell me
> (I've looked at smartctl, atactl, and dmesg -- anything else?)

dmesg | grep wd0 gives:

wd0 at atabus1 drive 0: <FUJITSU MHV2060BH>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 57241 MB, 116301 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 117231408 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100)
wd0(ahcisata0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5
(Ultra/100) (using DMA)
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b

> haven't pulled the drive out yet to look at the physical label...  The
> model number starts with ST; I have vague recollections that that's
> true for Seagate drives,

Definitely a Seagate. Dmesg should tell you the exact model number.

> but I thought Lenovo favored Hitachi disks.
>

>                 --Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

/dev/random says:
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014