Subject: Re: 4.99.23 fails to boot on sparc64
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/2007 00:58:26
On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 03:27:47PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> I believe I have seen a similar failure on i386 when the disklabel and the
> FFS superblock disagreed about the size of blocks and fragments, and/or
> when the kernel grew big enough to require a 2nd or 3rd level of inode
> indirection.

This is probably a good direction to investigate - all kernels boot fine
for me.

Erik, could you try netbooting the non-working kernels?

>  Are the kernels both on a FFS filesystem?  How big are they?
> What does disklabel(8) say about the disk where the kernels reside?

The sizes or my copies are:

-rw-r--r--  1 martin  wheel  7137044 Jul 12 16:12 netbsd.u2
-rw-r--r--  1 martin  wheel  7133780 Jul 12 16:12 netbsd.u3
-rw-r--r--  1 martin  wheel  6909426 Jul 12 16:13 netbsd.u4

Since ofwboot only supports FFSv1 and NFS, I guess they live on a FFSv1
partition in Erik's case.

Erik, can you "ls -lisa" the kernels, in addition to the info David asked
for? I wonder if this is an OFW bug and some kernels live beyound some
magic sector number.

Martin