Subject: Re: neo0: can't map buffer
To: Kimi Ostro <kimimeister@gmail.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/2007 09:48:16
On Apr 5, 2007, at 6:27 AM, Kimi Ostro wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I decided I wanted to play music today on laptop, but realised there
> was no sound and only interesting could find is:
> neo0 at pci1 dev 0 function 1: NeoMagic 256ZX audio
> neo0: can't map buffer

The NeoMagic audio device uses the buffer resident in the device
itself, not main memory.  That message is telling you that the driver
was unable to map that hardware buffer into the kernel's address
space.  It possibly means that you have the device unconfigured in
your BIOS settings (the most likely cause of this message is that the
PCI bus address register for that buffer has not been programmed by
the BIOS at power-up).

> % audioctl -a
> audioctl: /dev/audioctl0: Device not configured
> % mixerctl a
> mixerctl: /dev/mixer0: Device not configured
>
> never tried before today.
>
> full dmesg attached.
>
> --
> Kimi