Subject: Re: jerky interactive behavior
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2007 19:00:19
buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org (Brian Buhrow) writes:
> Hello.  Here is, perhaps, a sily suggestion.  What if you try breaking
> into ddb when the machine seems particularly sluggish and running a back
> trace?

It can't be done. The X server is hung when that happens, so there is
no way to get to a vt and start ddb. I could run ddb on a serial port,
but my machine has none.

> I assume the behavior is easy to reproduce,

cvs update will do it most of the time for me (thus my note about it
being disk activity related.)

I suppose that I could run ddb while running cvs update in another vt,
but then of course there is the question of what I would be looking
for. Beyond "really long disk queues" I suspect not much will show up.

Perry