Subject: Re: Problems accessing anoncvs
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/2005 15:04:07
It's not complicated to change your CVS root to a mirror. I usually just do
something like:

cd /usr/src
cp CVS/Root /tmp
emacs /tmp/Root to suit my needs
find . -type f -name Root -exec cp /tmp/Root {} \;

I'd also like to point out to those who don't already know, but
running an anoncvs server is not a trivial undertaking. I set up a mirror
a while back because I thought it would be better to rsync once a day for
all my systems, and those I manage for my customers, than to use
anoncvs repeatedly. Once I had it working, I considered making it a public
mirror until I saw how much load even a small number of clients placed on it.
[I may reconsider making it public if I can find a faster spare system.]

The people running the anoncvs server and the mirrors deserve large amounts
or patience and understanding from those of us who benefit from their efforts
because what they do is harder than it might seem.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing