Subject: Re: Proposal: removal of sendmail and postfix from base install
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2005 10:11:24
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:41:57 -0500
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> wrote:

[snip]

As a NetBSD admin let me complain this movement. The NetBSD base system
sometimes much stable and mature than pkgsrc versions. For example,
we've using Squid from pkgsrc. I have upgraded the package about ten
(!!!) times per last month - from 2.5.8nb4 to 2.5.9nb1. The software
still have a problems... My first update was done on security reason
basics, but then we have a lot of troubles with the rest functionality.
At the base system developers usually patch the security hole only and
we have no future problems.

Regarding to sendmail, postfix, and lpr systems it was good idea to
provide syssrc-based installation, but seems it undeveloped at this
time.

As an intermediate solution I would recomment two variants (sorry if
this repeats some posts before):

	1) use MKSENDMAIL=no, MKPOSTFIX=no and so on, like it have done
	   for kerberos and some other packages...

	2) create yet another distribution set named, for example,
	   extra.tgz, and move here the some such software, like
	   sendmail, kerberos, bind, and so on.

--
Mishka.