Subject: Re: PAM and Xserver
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2005 23:18:39
Christos Zoulas --> current-users (2005-03-01 11:43:21 -0500):
> In article <200503010523.32708.john@johnrshannon.com>,
> John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
> >NetBSD 2.99.16 Ix86
> >
> >With an OS build from this AM's source I'm encountering:
> >
> >> startx
> >
> >Password:
> >
> >Fatal server error:
> >PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
> >        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

Same problem here.

> >Suggestions for getting around this?
>
> I just added an xserver pam config file. Please let me know if that
> fixes the problem.

No, unfortunately not. I'm using Kerberos V (except for root which has
a local password). I'm able to start X using startx as root, but not
as a non-root user:

$ startx

jukka@SALMI.CH's Password:
Password:

Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

Note the password prompt...

If I start /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 directly (as a non-root user) I'm asked
for my Kerberos password; if entered correctly, X starts fine; otherwise
same error message as above.

Adding a "auth sufficient pam_self.so" to /etc/pam.d/xserver seems to fix
the problem (but then xconsole complains: "Couldn't open console"), but
since I don't really know PAM I'm not sure if this is correct.

Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~