Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/2005 21:37:14
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 07:17:32PM -0500, Alec Berryman wrote:
> George Michaelson on 2005-02-07 09:11:44 +1000:
> > If you loose the fsfs/db/<xx> file, you've lost the entire repos for that
> > file. All of it.
> >
> > No?
>
> No.  Perhaps I should have been more clear - yes, you've lost a lot if
> you're using BDB, but if you're using FSFS you're only losing one
> commit.  FSFS uses a file to represent each revision.  Yes, that will
> screw with complete checkouts, but it won't mess with updating unless
> one needs that revision in order to complete the update.

	Actually, even with complete checkouts subversion can be fairly
forgiving.  I just tried creating a test fsfs backed repository, checked
in a few revisions, then started deleting revision files.  "svn log"
failed right away, but checkouts kept working for a while, until I
removed a revision that contained changed needed to build the checked out
view.  Any time there's a "large enough" change to a file future revisions
won't need the earlier ones.
	However, when a critical file does get lost it doesn't seem like
the easist thing in the world to recover.  Some parts of a revision
file are text, but the contents of stored files are not, so a recovery
program would need to be written.

eric