Subject: Re: objdirs and readonly /usr/src
To: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2004 01:06:49
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Dick Davies wrote:

> > Once all the obj symlinks have been created, you don't need write access
> > to /usr/src, but in order to set things up, you do need write access.
> >
> > I'd suggest that the person who have this problem just do a "make obj" on
> > the maching exporting the file system. That machine should have write
> > access, and after this, other machines don't need to create the symlink.
>
> I thought of that.
> But on the NFS clients all those symlinks point nowhere...

That needn't be a problem. (But it could be.)
I use the same object directory structure on all machines, so the symlink
is the same, no matter what machine I happen to build on.
If the symlink exists, the target directory will be created if it don't
exist, and everything will be happy. (That is, unless I misremember
something serious now.)

To expand a little: I have a /usr/obj locally on all machines, and the
symlink points in there. Same on all machines, even though the actual
directories pointed at will differ between machines.

	Johnny