Subject: Re: Anyone using current NetBSD with current mozilla?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040129T151529@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2004 15:24:48
smb@research.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
> I'm using Mozilla via pkgsrc with no trouble -- it just works.  Well,
> it works as well as Mozilla ever does -- i.e., much too slowly.  I
> really prefer galeon, but that's having what I believe are
> thread-related problems.

Just this last week galeon (linked with mozilla 1.6) has been failing
for me too.  Pages simply never finish loading.  The tab often stays
red, often with nothing rendered in the corresponding window.  Earlier
today I thought it might by file-descriptor count related, since it
seems to happen more often when rendering pages with lots of embedded
jpegs/gifs.  Doing a "ulimit -n 128" in my .profile had no effect on
the problem.

I did notice something curious when using lsof to see how many fd's
everyone used.  Some programs (like thttpd) had quite a few mmap-ed
files open, but very few fd's tied up.  I never realized one could
mmap a file and then close the associated fd.  Is that really legit?
Does he file then no longer count against the process's fd limits in
the kernel?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.