Subject: Re: problems with wi
To: Emre Yildirim <ey@ieee.org>
From: John Gordon <mailing.lists@dial.pipex.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2004 14:03:56
Hello,

Emre Yildirim wrote:
> Once upon a time David Young proclaimed:
>
>>You have set a 104-bit ASCII key, here. Perhaps you meant to set
>>a 40-bit hexadecimal key with 0x822FFFB8FF?
>

> The same key works on the windows machine, but I guess that's windows :)
>
> I tried 0x822FFFB8FF, still isn't working
>

>>You should see more wireless activity if you run
>>`tcpdump -ne -D ieee802_11 -i wi0'.
>

> That does show me something.  I get a lot of  "Pad 0 KeyID 0" packets and alsp "aro
> who-has."

I would start by disabling the WEP in your access point and keeping to
simple, unencrypted stuff for the first tests - get that working when
everything else is working.

After that, you might want to check whether you set up any kind of MAC
address based filters in the AP (I wasted 10 minutes looking for a
problem when I swapped a wireless card once just because I use the MAC
address filters in my AP & hadn't added the other one to the list).

HTH,
John...

--
John Gordon