Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2004 15:15:54
Quoting Dan Melomedman (dan@devonit.com):
> Paul Dokas wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:08:31 +0100 joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) wrote:
> > > You think NetBSD is a chimera?
> > sense that that implies.  I only meant that a shape-shifter might
>
> Well, a chameleon then maybe? That's taken by SuSe though.

And BSDi, before they lost it.

I say, screw new animals.  Screw abstract symbols
(rainbow apple, waving 4 color flag).

Daemon.  Simpler daemon not done in charcoal with detail.

If there's confusion with FreeBSD, I'll bet it will still be
there no matter a logo.  Should NetBSD lose the "BSD" letters?

FreeBSD has some visibility.  Not as much as linux, but that's
ok.  NetBSD, oddly, has a lot in COMMON with FreeBSD.

And FreeBSD isn't really tainted with any bad reputation,
so take advantage of it (like FreeBSD, but portable to and
small and quick).

Or we change the name to some non-word.  I mean what the hell
does "NET" mean?  From the NET2 release?  That's sad.  We need
to get with modern marketing:
  Alenta!  The new OS.
  Nosco (tm)  (short for Not SCO).
  Portanix  (or portable 'nix).

Or perhaps just a Beastie with a fishing NET over his shoulder.