Subject: RE: RAIDFrame and RAID-5
To: 'Greg Oster' <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Thomas Hertz <thomas@hz.se>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 16:51:57
> What sorts of problems are you seeing?  Panics?  Freezes?  Can we
> please get 'dmesg' output, 'raidctl -s' output, raid config
> files, etc, etc?

I haven't been able to get a kernel core dump, since the system just
freezes. I have noted that just moments before the system freezes, it's
not possible to start new processes. The already running processes, will
continue to run normally for some minute more. Most of the time the
console prints out a few "cannot allocate Tx mbuf" for the various
network interfaces just before the final freeze.

It seems (obviously) to be a kernel memory problem. I have experimented
a little with chunk sizes, and the system will stay up a little longer
with smaller chunks (it crashes within seconds with any chunk size
256k). Also, cranking up vm.nkmempages (with options KMEMPAGES) to 64k
will keep the system running even longer.

Here are the relevant outputs:
dmesg: http://hz.se/dmesg.txt
raidctl -s: http://hz.se/raidctl.txt
raid0.conf: http://hz.se/raidconf.txt

> Both of these are on 1.6 boxes... (Hmm.. I wonder if something has
> changed since 1.6 that is causing problems in low-kernel-memory
> conditions...)

I have tried running kernels 1.6, 1.6.1 and now 1.6-current (1.6W and
1.6Z). They have all given the exact same behaviour!

Thanks,

// Thomas Hertz