Subject: Re: To fix or not to fix?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2003 09:01:32
On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 11:56:45AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	You might want to try mounting the nfs filesystem with an 8k or
> 	16k block size rather than the (i386) default of 32k.
>
> 	mount_nfs -r 8192 remote:/dir /local_dir

This (and dropping the TCP option) seems to have helped.  (Some time ago,
I received the impression that TCP mounts were friendlier and that the
original impetus for UDP mounts was no longer appropriate, so I was just
using TCP...)

Telling the driver that the chipset only has 8KB seemed to increase the
number of overruns per unit time ("Message repeated ??? times..."), but
virtually elminated the audible glitches in XMMS playing of .ogg files.
(This was before receiving the above suggestion.)

Is this just a fact of life that you sometimes need to do this with
NFS and some cards, or does it suggest a driver problem?  The card was
not the first one that I tried, but it was the first one that that I
tried and that *worked* with NetBSD.