Subject: mozilla on alpha
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2003 09:58:02
Now this is weird.

I've been having problems with mozilla on alpha since the sa-merge a while
ago. Problems include mozilla just dying, silently or with SIGSEV.

So I decided to change "disable-debug" to "enable-debug" in the pkgsrc
Makefile. After the build process ate a few gigs of diskspace I now have
a quite verbose installation of mozilla.

On first try mozilla died. On the second try it got to www.mozilla.org.
On third try it crashed getting to slashdot.org:

Finished reading in bookmarks.html  (35068 microseconds)
Opening file cookperm.txt failed
Document http://www.mozilla.org/start/ loaded successfully
WEBSHELL+ = 4
WARNING: malformed hostname, file nsURLParsers.cpp, line 580
###!!! ASSERTION: QueryInterface needed: 'query_result.get() == mRawPtr', file ../../dist/include/xpcom/nsCOMPtr.h, line 501
Break: at file ../../dist/include/xpcom/nsCOMPtr.h, line 501

[2]+  Exit 4                  mozilla

On the fourth try it succesfully opened slashdot. On the fifth try it crashed
whilst opening www.mtv3.fi. Again, on the sixth try it succesfully opened
www.mtv3.fi.

Just now it worked for a while but decided to hang on loading a huge png.

So, what's the easiest way for me to get mozilla with a full symbol table (-g)
that I could even try to make sense of this mess with gdb ?

(Oh yeah, 1.6P built on Mar 13 from then-fresh sources, Alphastation 600)

Thanks,
--
jht