Subject: Re: "make USETOOLS=never build" fails
To: Allen D. Ball <ball@iprotium.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/2002 09:55:09
On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Allen D. Ball wrote:

: I am using -current sup'ed today and attempting to rebuild userland with a
: kernel (1.5ZB) from the same sources and a userland (1.5ZA) built last week.

You can't do that directly; see below.

: "make USETOOLS=never build" fails when it recurses into etc to do a "make
: DESTDIR=/ distrib-dirs" because it doesn't know how to make check_DESTDIR.

This is because those targets were moved to <bsd.own.mk>.  For this
particular change, you need to do "make install" in src/share/mk.

: If I use USETOOLS=no then the build stops in gnu/lib/libg2c saying that
: component requires a "host specific toolchain."

That's because USETOOLS=no is provided only as a way to build subtrees with
the bundled toolchain -- which is discouraged.  The host-specific toolchain
bit is a sanity check so that you don't compile, say, libstdc++ with a
C++ compiler using the wrong ABI.

: And if I don't specify USETOOLS the toolchain is built (which seems silly
: to have to wait for).

It's not silly.  If you had let the host toolchain build, you would not have
run into this problem; it makes use of the correct share/mk files
automatically.

There are many related problems that building the host toolchain fixes
automatically.  If you regularly build with UPDATE set, I highly recommend
allowing the host toolchain to build; it will avoid all these version skew
problems in one step.  (The host toolchain does heed UPDATE, and only
rebuilds as needed when files of that toolchain component are changed.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/