Subject: Re: CVS Repository Mirroring
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: BOUWSMA Beery <netbsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2002 14:11:33
Bonjour!
%s wrote on %.3s, %lld Sep 1993

> > Other than `sup' and scanning the ftp tree, what options are available

> You have rsync, but I'm not sure it'll be faster. I'm almost sure it'll
> be slower than sup ...

Thanks -- it wasn't obvious from the documentation about mirror sites
that `rsync' enabled one to get the repository proper.  At least, how
I remembered it.

Someone else advised me of this off-list, and pointed me to a doc that
I read sometime back but forgot about, which mentions that the `rsync'
swerver is heavily loaded, so naturally (also being a fan of the Usenet
store-and-forward propagation of goodies) I'd prefer to use as nearby a
mirror as possible.

This basically narrows things down to the french mirror.  On the other
hand, while plenty more mirrors offering `cvsup' access are nearby here
in europe, it appears that the quality of these mirrors leaves something
to be desired -- while the most up-to-date norwegian mirror gave me no
problems yesterday, today I get notice of some 30 or so apparently bad
RCS files on that mirror site.  (I should note that this has apparently
just been fixed, so the quality of a few mirror sites *should* be much
improved now or Real Soon Now.)

So for the moment, I'm trying to identify good/not-so-good mirror sites
as potential candidates, turning my idea of setting up my own NetBSD
source mirror into a bit more work than I expected...

Someone else wrote:

> I guess it ought to be possible to take the 'daily CVS update output'
> email and feed it through a script to replicate the required updates on
> a per-file basis.
> The slight difficulty is ensuring you have all the required emails!

Ah yeah, I've just been ignoring those mails since I first saw them :-)
Sounds similar to `CTM' except that there you get the updates too, but
in both cases I'd have to be sure I have all the mails pushed to me,
meaning I can't count on it to be as on-demand as I'd like.

Now that I've looked through one of these, I'm kind of disturbed by
these numbers (since I'm not familiar with `sup' and this process):

| Running the SUP scanner:
| SUP Scan for current starting at Tue Feb  5 11:49:12 2002
| SUP Scan for current completed at Tue Feb  5 12:24:12 2002
| SUP Scan for mirror starting at Tue Feb  5 12:24:13 2002
| SUP Scan for mirror completed at Tue Feb  5 17:00:44 2002
| SUP Scan for anoncvs starting at Tue Feb  5 17:00:51 2002
| SUP Scan for anoncvs completed at Tue Feb  5 20:02:45 2002

Okay, half an hour I can live with, but almost five hours for
mirror?  Hmmm...  Plus three hours for anoncvs...  Not that I know
what it means.

Drifting off-topic again...

Has anyone looked into the `ezm3' Modula-3 compiler, that's now
available, specifically for building `cvsup' and no more, without
the extra cruft, and which is supposed to be more easily ported?
Apparently NetBSD 1.5 and later can install it on the i386 port,
so emulation or a pre-compiled binary shouldn't be needed there,
but I have no clue how easily it could be made to work with other
ports...

thanks
barry bouwsma