Subject: Re: X library path, etc.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2002 18:28:12
In message <Pine.NEB.4.30.0201142025220.8263-100000@triton.invisible.ca>, "Jare
d D. McNeill" writes:
>> Hmm.  So, if you're spending a lot of time testing little X widgets,
>> all of which have Makefiles that specify -L/usr/X11R6/lib, having to edit
>> the makefiles isn't at all annoying?

>pkgsrc already takes care of this for me.

This has poor scaling.  e.g., I don't want to make a new package for every
single IOCCC entry I download, but none of them are going to have -Wl,-R... in
their makefiles just because one system in all the world doesn't guess that
by default.  :)

>> Makes sense.  Hmm.  Perhaps an alternative solution, and sufficient for most
>> day-to-day purposes, would be to have something like ld.so.conf suggest
>> /usr/pkg/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib by default on systems where they exist.

>ld.so.conf already has support for that. Alternately, you could add the
>appropriate paths to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

Right.  My question is, should we maybe put these in the *default* ld.so.conf,
since it is almost always useful, and almost never even inconvenient, to have
these paths searched.  If this change were made, I don't think it would ever
work against me.

-s