Subject: IrDA
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2001 19:41:35
I have added some minimal support for IrDA communication in the
kernel.  It presents IrDA frames to userland; the kernel has
all the knowledge of how to talk to the actual hardware and presents
a uniform interface to the userland protocol stack.
The IrDA frame devices are are named /dev/irframe0, etc.

At the moment there is support for the Toshiba Oboe chip (PCI)
and for IrDA dongles on serial lines (and integrated IrDA that
looks like a serial port).

There is a userland stack that works together with the kernel drivers
in the comms/birda package.

Sample use with a serial dongle:
  irdaattch tty02  # dongle on tty02
  irs -o -e   # get ready to recieve one OBEX record
After this you can beam a record from your PDA to the IrDA port.

Place your cell phone next to the IrDA port and talk to the modem by
  ircomm -r

Please report problems, but don't expect fixes from me.

 -- Lennart