Subject: re: HEADS UP: new toolchain info! (now default on i386)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2001 08:16:34
On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, matthew green wrote:

:    * NOCLEANDIR is deliberately not honored under src/tools.  The reason for
:      this is that the update strategy of src/tools is a little different:

: could we reconsider this?  i do agree that NOCLEANDIR shouldn't affect
: this, but sometimes you Just Don't Want To Do This, and it's nice to
: have the knob available..  TOOLS_NOCLEANDIR?  or something.

The cleandir step in tools/ happens at a different time than it does in the
rest of src/ -- tools/ only does that immediately before rebuilding an
out-of-date tool.  Why would you want to disable that step, given my
comments about version skew risk?

(Note that tools is not in the src/Makefile SUBDIRS list, as its build
procedure isn't quite the same.)

: thanks for this work.  any reason not to enable USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN for
: sparc64?

"I don't have time to test it today" is the only reason I can't enable it
personally.  If it builds and works properly for you, flip it on -- the
switch is toward the top of bsd.own.mk.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5.2 available on CD-ROM soon!  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/