Subject: Re: Getting current install floppies
To: Masanori Kanaoka <kanaoka@ann.hi-ho.ne.jp>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/2001 09:08:23
Just a note to you all thanking you for your effort. Manuel made me
some boot floppies with the changes suggested, and although the
controller is now properly identified, the hard drive is not.

Unless I hear differently from you (and I'm certainly not expecting
to), I'm going to assume that this can't get fixed in time for 1.5.1.
And, given that this will be my production machine for my main system
for the next few years, I need to move on. FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.3
install fine on the system, so I'm going with FreeBSD 4.3 (just
waiting for the CD-ROM to arrive).

Here's what I sent to Manuel the other day. If you have other boot
floppies you want me to test in the next two days, by all means let
me know. I still have very warm feelings for NetBSD, and think it
would be a shame if it didn't work on a system as popular as the Dell
1550 rackmount.

--Paul Hoffman

Good news and bad news on these new floppies.

The good news is that it looks like the controllers get set up
properly. The message whizzes by, but the ahc0: and ahc1: messages
looked like they had real information in them that looked similar to
what I see in FreeBSD.

The bad news is that at the end of booting, the SCSI system doesn't
work. There is a message that says "scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds to
settle", and then a zillion messages scrolling by that say:
ahc1: spurious SCSI interrupt

I note that FreeBSD waits 15 seconds, not 2; is that possibly part of
the problem?

Also, I don't know why this is happening on ahc1:, since the one
drive is on ahc0:.