Subject: Re: CVS bloat?
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/2001 10:27:19
>> i ask because it seems that 4.0.2 is my *only* hope for getting x
>> working on my toshiba 7200.
>
>I had a similair issue with a voodoo 5, it's only supported under 4.0.x
>releases.  It's worth reading the RELNOTES, it lists a few things that might
>be needed in the config/cf/host.def, eg if you've got perl it can do a few
>more fonts :)  If you have freetype 2 installed you need to add a define in
>there to point to it (it's in pkgsrc)  But yes you can just do make then make
>install and it will install.

i tend only to use three or four fonts, so more fonts i don't need.  i
made a few changes myself, but i put them in site.def (mistakenly?  it
works for me) instead of host.def.

>There's also a README.NetBSD file somewhere in the tree, try
>programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc.  Other issues are things like if you've got
>xpm or Mesa packages installed you might have to rebuild they are now part of
>the X server.  (pkgsrc is already supports xfree86 4, and has done for a
>while)

read that, too.  still not much that actually affects me that i
haven't already done.

>I'm not sure if this is a generic thing or just the voodoo, but I seem to
>loose my consoles if I start up the xserver.  They're still there, but they
>don't display if I try to switch back to them.  (note that I'm working on
>configuring the X build to only do a wscons one.

i was getting something much worse that looks a lot better now.  i'm
just wondering about the possibility (or ramifications) of
integration.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|