Subject: Re: SOFTDEPS safe for qmail?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Ethan Solomita <ethan@geocast.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2000 00:31:44
John Kohl wrote:

> Andrew> My understanding of the soft dependencies changes
> Andrew> are that it is totally transparent and undetectable by an application.
> Andrew> (e.g. the application has no way of knowing the metadata was not written
> Andrew> synchronously to disk)
>
> That's not strictly true.  The softdep code can reorder some directory
> operations for convenience of stability.  When I asked Kirk about this

	It can reorder directory operations, but unless the system crashes I
would expect that this only refers to the order of things going to disk.
Everything should appear to an application (using the same mount point)
as if all prior operations had actually completed.

	There was an issue at one point with the link count appearing
incorrectly, but that has been handled.
	-- Ethan