Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: None <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Scott Aaron Bamford <sab@ansic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2000 15:45:44
On Mon, 1 May 2000 erh@nimenees.com wrote:

>> 3. Reworking the configuration mechanism (replacing rc.conf)
>
>> 	If a tool is provided (e.g, virc(8)) which presents
>>	/etc/rc.conf.d/* as a single editor buffer, which then
>>	rewrites /etc/rc.conf.d [...]
>    Which I believe exists in some form already.  See
>http://gdev.net/~vpp/virc.tar.gz, written by Scott Bamford.
>(I haven't tried this)

I dont think anybody has, i uploaded it to countless places and all of them
went down for no reason, sods law i guess, so i just gave up uploading it
(last one i knew of working was http://www.ansic.net/virc.tar.gz)

The app sort of did it backwards to the above proposal, it split a mono or split
config into services, though if we went for the multi-files but not `multi-files or mono rc.conf' then it could be reworked to just add an `owner file' to each
x=y pair (this was avoided as i wanted to keep _all configs_ synced, but if
all thats wanted is a tempary file that is a murge of smaller files to be
editited with everything going back to where it came from then some of the
original code may be useful), ill take a look when i get some free time.

This approch would require that: