Subject: Re: Possible design of the new rc.d rc.conf stuff.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2000 01:20:45
On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 09:15:24PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Paul Goyette wrote:
> # I think I don't like the name or sense of the variable!  :)
> Outside of that, though, he's nailed everything that I think was suggested.
	Cool.  Looks like rereading every recent message about rc.d helped
like I thought it would. :) :)

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 09:15:24PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Paul Goyette wrote:
> # Someone earlier in this thread suggested that it would be useful to have
> # some kind of warning if a variable were defined in both the /etc/rc.conf
> # and /etc/rc.config/* files.  I think that that would be useful, too, but
> # I admit I can't see any easy way to implement it.
>
> "eval is your friend."
>
> Telling if a variable is done in two places is easily warned about,
> actually.
>
> Telling which one came first might be a tad more difficult.
	hmmm.. I'm trying to think but nothing's happening.  Well nothing
that I consider reasonable anyway.  How can I use eval to figure out if
a variable is set in two scripts without either having the scripts do
the check when setting the variable or knowing the name of the variables
and checking after reading each script in?

> If we can make it a flexible solution, we all win.  I'm willing to contribute
> some effort to it if needed - let me know.
	Can you provide an example of the eval thing?

eric