Subject: Re: ray0 and nwid
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2000 16:06:31
martin@rumolt.teuto.de (Martin Husemann) writes:
> Did anybody successfully use "ifconfig nwid XXXX" with a raylink Aviator 2.4
> card?

I think you might need to "ifconfig ray0 down" "ifconfig ray0 up"
after the change.  I run with a nonstandard nwid just fine.

At first I thought that the cards in the package were paired, such
that the pair could only talk to its mate.

Even when I had all 4 cards within 3 meter of each other, they formed
2 cliques.  Eg. computers A and B can only ping each other and
computers C and D could only ping each other.  It wasn't till I did a
few reboots that they all talked on the same net.  I *think* it was
the ifconfig up/down that did the trick.

I wonder what exactly is the nwid?  Is it a plaintext "password" that
anyone can snoop from the airwaves?  Is it even worth setting this to
something other than the default?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>