Subject: Re: new 3Com PCI ethernet card
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@cm-24-142-94-15.cableco-op.ispchannel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/1999 17:37:03
Don Becker's Linux driver handles the 3com SOHO100 line, the 3c555
(both "hurricane" variants), and the 3c980, using the same methods it
uses for the 905B and 905C (Cyclone). I dunno about the 3c990 per se.
It looks like 3Com may have changed the checksum algorithm and one
has to look 3 bytes further into  the NVRAM.

I dont know how similar the 3c980 and 3c980 are, but maybe that helps
some.  It'd be nice to support the SOHO100 cards too, since the 3c905
is hard to find.

(According to 3com direct sales, the 3c905-TX-M has been back-ordered
since before Xmas.  A batch of 5,000 is due about now, but they all go
to fill the back-orders...).