Subject: Re: Supported CardBus 10/100 NICs?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/1999 16:02:34
At 12:03 PM 10/31/99 -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> I was acutally thinking of the
>cheap D-link/Linksys 10/100 cards at Fry's.  apparently they're PCMCIA
>10/100 ne2000-alikes, not CardBus. They almost work but our ne2k
>driver cant find the MAC address...

A (totally unqualified) word of warning about 16bit PCMCIA 100Mbit ethernet
cards:

I don't have experience with the particular cards you list, but under
totally different circumstances, I had the following experience, which,
when extrapolated, leads me to believe that 16bit PCMCIA 10/100 ethernets
will never get you anywhere *near* 100Mbits of throughput.

Test OS: Win98 (I know, I know - but it was the only thing I had that worked
with the 3C-574)

Tested cards					FTP throughput
3Com 3C-574TX (16bit PCMCIA 10/100)	~25Mbits/sec
3Com 3C-575TX (32bit CardBus 10/100)	~75Mbits/sec

AFAIK, the internals of these cards are at least similar, the server at the
other end was identical, and there was no other traffic on the network in
both cases.

I may be totally wrong, though, since this was a different OS, and
different cards. I'm just *assuming* that PCMCIA vs. CardBus was what
caused the difference.