Subject: Re: fortune makefiles incorrect ?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/1999 00:03:27
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> Zoularis is actually not very heavyweight EXCEPT for one thing: there
> are ugly hacks in place to deal with the __progname hack. It turns out
> that doing __progname portably is very hard indeed.
>
> If someone could come up with a better hack for dealing with
> __progname well, we could have our portability library work much more
> smoothly.

Years ago I proposed that we turn __progname into a function (perhaps
with a different name - I can't remember the details).  That way you
could at least fake something that you could stick in a library that
would DTRT if argv hadn't been tinkered with...  For my Ultrix compile
environment, I ended up hacking on libgcc's __main to set this up.

Simon.