Subject: pciide changes & promise pciide support
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/1999 20:10:01
Hi,
thanks to Paul Newhouse who provided me 2 of these boards, I've been able
to get the promise Ultra/33 boards (based on the Promise pdc20246/20247 chips)
to work in NetBSD.
This support is not quite stable yet, by lack of docs (the few docs
I have are not completely accurate :(. Especially I've not been able
to get my ATAPI cd working (but the on-board BIOS doesn't see it either,
maybe it's not my driver which is to blame :). I'm using it with 2 IDE
drive (one old DMA 1 and a new Ultra-DMA 4) with success however.

Unfortunably, in order to support this wierd chip I've got to reorganise
the pciide driver (a lot of common code was not usable for this board),
which may have brocken support of other chip as well, and of course
I'm not able to test all of them (I tested only PIIX*, CMD640 and AcerLabs
M5229, as well as generic pciide). The benefit of this is that the driver
is now cleaner (the cmd64x hack have gone away from common code), and
I've found a few bugs :)

So if you want to test these changes with either a promise, or one of
the yet-untested controller, you can find them in:
ftp://antioche.lip6.fr/pub/tmp/bouyer/pciide.tgz
just extract this file in sys/dev/pci and recompile.

Success or failure reports are welcome :)