Subject: Re: IPv4 and IPv6
To: itojun@iijlab.net, Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/1999 10:48:27
At 08:16 PM 7/5/99 +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>># 	Am I answering your question?
>>Yes.  Now I have to figure out how to run IPv4 and IPv6 on the same host.
>>I need to talk IPv4 to my ISP, but would like to try IPv6 on my internal
>>network (which consists of two machines (woohoo)).
>
>	www.kame.net has several tips and FAQ list for the implementation
>	being merged in.
>	Also you may want to check www.ipv6.org and www.6bone.net, for
>	external IPv6 connection (usually this is done by IPv6-over-IPv4
>	tunnel).
>
>	I think I need to write up an IPv6 introductory documents.

I've also set this up at work.  Here's the configuration:

Firewall system running NetBSD 1.4 with fairly recent IPv6 patches:

It's running IPNat for all of the local machines (Windows stuff, mostly)
and is also connected to the 6BONE using a connection at Sprint.  I'm going
to need to figure out how to block traffic on this machine for IPv6 (a v6
firewall) to complete the security sweep.

I'm also running an IPv6/IPv4 dual machine behind the firewall that can
communicate directly with the 6BONE and with any other host on the Internet
via IPv4.

The only thing I've never gotten working (for lack of interested remotes)
is the IPSec stuff.

Itojun-san should be very proud of his work on this.  It has worked so well
that I've recently been able to put together a White Paper for my work's
sponsor that not only showed the theory, but was able to reference a
dog-and-pony show I put together for them.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom