Subject: Re: Thoughts for ftp...
To: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1999 10:59:37
greywolf@starwolf.com (Segmentation Violation.  Core dumped.) writes:

> The thing I thought of is that isn't there some way that, given a username
> of either "anonymous" or "ftp" (which operate synonymously in most, if not
> all, implementations...), that the "Password:" prompt could actually be put
> into ECHO mode so you can see what you're typing?

Even better: default with a sane password (like user@domain). You
might still (even though I haven't) want to type a real password for
`ftp', or `anonymous'.

    $ ftp ftp.netbsd.org
    Connected to ftp.netbsd.org.
    220- THE NetBSD ARCHIVE
    220 nbftp.pa.vix.com FTP server (Version: 7.1.0) ready.
    Trying GSSAPI...
    The server doesn't support the FTP security extensions.

    *** Using plaintext user and password ***

    Name (ftp.netbsd.org:joda): ftp
    331 Guest login ok, type your name as password.
    Password (joda@pdc.kth.se):
    230-   Welcome to FTP.NetBSD.ORG                              ,        ,
    230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
    ftp> quit
    221 Goodbye.

/Johan