Subject: HEADS UP: change to struct vfsops and to VOP_CLOSE
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/26/1999 16:20:31
I just checked in two sets of changes which have been discussed (with
diffs) on tech-kern recently.

The first changes the vnode operation VOP_CLOSE to take a locked vnode
rather than an unlocked one. I've tested these changes on an i386 w/o
problem. I have not been able to test coda with this change. Errors will
manifest themselves as locking against myself panics.

As part of this change, I found an error in the union filesystem. In
union_copyup() (called when we need to copy a file from the lower layer to
the upper), we would lock the file we were going to copy, but only unlock
it if we successfully opened it. This change was not in the patches I sent
to tech-kern.

The other part is to change the vfsops s.t. the vfs_fhtovp call is
executed in two parts. vfs_fhtovp now only converts a file handle to a
vnode, while vfs_checkexp handles export verification. Errors with this
change will show up as the kernel not linking.

I also bumped the kernel version to 1.3J.

Please let me know if you encounter any errors from these changes.

Take care,

Bill