Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 23:21:19
> On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:01:25 -0800 (PST)
>  Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
>  > Yes, it's theoretically possible. It's not desirable.
>
> ...that depends.  If CAM has less functionality, then running the old code
> certainly IS desirable.
>
> Maybe it means "I can use both my Adaptec and my ncr5380 at the same time".

Well, yes. But a more likely scenario is:

	I have a newer system with either an Adaptec (PCI, EISA, VLB or
	ISA), a Symbios PCI, a Qlogic, or Advansys or BusLogic PCI. I
	don't have a scanner or a SCSI network. I can just run CAM.

	I don't have the above. I need to run the older framework. Or, I
	have a piece of the above, but I have something not supporeted in
	the CAM framework as well and I need to run both. I guess I'll
	just use the older framework.

Really the only person who cannot be satisfied by this is the person who
has an HBA not supported by the older framework (Adaptec 7890, e.g.)
*and* needs to have a target driver not in CAM or needs to also run an HBA
not in CAM. Perhaps this is a set with more than one element.

-matt