Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 Nov 17 1998 snapshot
To: None <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1998 13:07:50
> I have another problem with this machine.  When running NT, the
> ethernet card works fine.  When I try to use it under NetBSD in
> this specific machine, it doesn't work.  Put in another NetBSD
> machine running current about two weeks old, it works fine.
> Using sysinst to set up the network, it never shows any errors,
> but takes forever to return and still doesn't work.
>
> When I tried to install the previous snapshot, it wouldn't work
> either.  When I try to ping my gateway, ping would never output
> anything.  (Normally it'll at least say where it's trying to
> ping, and what size packet.)  The card is a NetGear FA310tx,
> and is found at boot as:
>
> de0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0
> de0: interrupting at irq 11
> de0:21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
> de0: address 00:40:05:a2:e5:32
> then later
> de0: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port
>
> There are no obvious conflicts, so any help would be appreciated.

There are as near as I can tell two possibilities:

 o You fell victim to the same problem I did, as reported in
   kern/6401.  For me the problem was that the de0 interface did not
   come up even though I said "up" as part of the ifconfig string
   which also included "media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex".  The
   workaround was to do a separate "ifconfig de0 up" after giving it
   the address and setting the media options.  You can inspect if this
   is the problem by doing "ifconfig de0" after configuring it, and if
   "UP" is missing among the flags, that may be your problem.  (I also
   added a second line to my /etc/ifconfig.de0 which said "up".)

   I don't know what the cause of this problem is, but apparently
   others have seen the same or a similar problem with different
   hardware, so this may not be a driver bug but a more general
   "kernel bug".  I've not had the time to dig deeper into this;
   sorry.

 o Earlier today I replied to a message from ckane@best.com (you seem
   to be on the CC list).  If your de card has separate phy chips on
   it (I don't know much about the specifics here, so please bear with
   me if I'm wrong), it may be a temporary workaround to tell the card
   to do media autodetection (?) instead of instructing it explicitly
   to use 100Mbit/s full-duplex.

Regards,

- H=E5vard